(meteorobs) Rayxar X-ray lenses.

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 29 11:05:17 EDT 2005

on 8/29/05 7:52, Swift, Wesley at Wesley.R.Swift at msfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> These lenses are designed to couple the green tube image to film or
> a CCD detector.  They are designed for near unity conjugate (like enlarger
> lenses) and only corrected for the green.   I would not expect great
> performance with infinite conjugate (star like) meteors, especially with
> detectors with a large red / IR sensitivity.   I wouldn't buy one of these
> expensive lenses new, but if I had one or could get it cheep I would
> certainly give it a try.  My favorite lenses are the Schneider "silicon APO"
> f/0.95 lenses:  Nothing beats a sharp focus!
>
> Wes

Wes:
    I agree with your comments re the Rayxar.  Image Intensifiers do indeed
have poor response at the blue end of the spectrum, 450.0 nm to 900.0 nm.  I
do have a surplus sample which I will give a try when I find the time.  I
was really looking for a lens that has good UV transmission for UV end
meteor spectroscopy.  Dr. Ian Halliday secured some nice near UV spectra a
number of years ago using a quartz precision replica transmission grating
and a special lens.  Where can you get the Schneider "silicon APO" f/0.9
lens and what do they sell for?  Also what is the f.l.?
Ed