(meteorobs) Rayxar X-ray lenses.

Swift, Wesley Wesley.R.Swift at msfc.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 29 13:46:43 EDT 2005

Ed,

	Large format!!!  Yikes!

	Large format, fast optics and low cost are mutually exclusive.
Since the end result is usually more concerned with the number of
"resolution elements" in the image, most folks have gone to smaller formats
with a significant reduction in kilograms and kilobucks.    Glass mass and
price usually scale with the cube of coverage...  Removing the IR / UV block
filter from a Nikon DSLR will get you a QE of perhaps 5% at 350nm, which is
about as good as film.  If you can find the UV-Nikors and a suitable
aperture grating that might be as good as it gets under a bunch of
kilobucks.

Wes