(meteorobs) RE: UV lenses for spectroscopy...

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 29 15:42:16 EDT 2005

on 8/29/05 12:01, Swift, Wesley at Wesley.R.Swift at msfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Just found this:
> http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/uv-lens.htm
>
> It appears that "EL-Nikkor lenses are designed for ultraviolet transmission
> in the 350 to 450 nm range."  Enlarging lenses are easy to find if a bit
> awkward to mount, particularly to a Canon.
>
> Interesting:

Wes:
    I just checked my enlarger lenses and they are all Rodenstock. I wonder
if this uv thing would apply to them also????  They would have to be made of
light crown glass as flint elements absorb in the blue.  My objective prism
is dense flint but seems to work okay as I easily record the H&K lines of
Ca+ and a little below that!  Most are rather slow, f/4.5 for 4X5 format.
F/2.8 for 35 mm.  Even with a good UV lens you can't record much below 350.0
nm anyway because of the atmosphere.  A real problem from my observatory
which is at around 125 feet above sea level.  What I really need is someone
to cooperate with me to get heights from triangulation's.  Someone with
about 50 km or more separation from me.  The height that spectral lines form
is rather important and interesting.
Ed