(meteorobs) Geminids vs. Sporadics?

Bias, Peter V pbias at flsouthern.edu
Wed Dec 14 11:46:03 EST 2005

I was thinking the same thing.  I sat out last night for a half hour and
saw 18 Geminids but not one sporadic between 11:10 and 11:40 local time
(EST in Florida).  I didn't take data beyond that because I knew that I
wouldn't be able to stay out long, but it is striking that people seem
to be seeing so many sporadics and I don't see any at all.  Perhaps the
problem is that some (especially newer) observers tend to think that the
radiant is a pin point, the size of a star, when of course it is
generally much larger and diffuse.

Pete Bias
Lakeland Florida