(meteorobs) Geminid obs, Sharon Massachusetts, Dec 14

Richard Kramer kramer at sria.com
Wed Dec 14 12:17:15 EST 2005

While walking the dog around midnight I couldn't help but notice
quite a bit of activity despite an LM worse than 4. I decided to lay
out on a bench that was reasonably snow free and go on the clock for
a few minutes, recording by memory. Activity was so enticing that I
brought the dog back home and returned with blanket, chair, and tape
recorder for a more formal session to be reported separately.

---------
Richard Kramer Sharon MA USA
71 deg 10.87 min W   42 deg 6.53 min N  Elev 220 ft

EST 12:37 14 Dec to 12:47 14 Dec
UTC 05:37 14 Dec to 05:47 14 Dec

Shower observed Geminids  GEM

UTC              Teff   LM     PER    SPO    Total
05:37 - 05:47    0.17   3.5     5      1       6

Magnitude Distributions
          -3  -2  -1   0   1   2   3
GEM       2   1   0   0   0   1   1
SPO       0   0   0   0   0   0   1

Notes:
1. Obscuration 10% for shading from moon.
2. Wearing biofocals causing effective obscuration of 15% for
magnitude 0 and brighter and 40% for dimmer than magnitude 0.
3. View centered halfway between Gemini and Cancer.
4. Colors consistently white for mag 0 and brighter, yellow for mag 2
to 0, and reddish for mag 3.