(meteorobs) geminids from Olathe, KS dec13

KCStarguy at aol.com KCStarguy at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 20:42:18 EST 2005

on dec 13, I took my deck chair and sleepingbag out to watch the Geminids
before I had to go to teach and which the moon had sun near the horizon. I
usually go to obervatory, 20 minutes south but I did not have time so I sat next to
my house, blocking out lights to the South .
5:10- 6:10
(I could only see towards the South from the Zenith- the roof of the house
blocked the north but that was better then sitting between the trees in the
North and the HOuse and seeing just a little slit of a sky above and to east and
west)
partial light clouds 1/3 of the time

6 Geminids, 1 sporadic
of these
3 whites
2 yellows
1 blue
4 - 1 mag
1 -3rd mag
1 - zero mag

no firebalss :(
the   most memorable this period was   one was at 5:28 Central when a yellow
1st magnitude Geminid took a leisurly trip .75 seconds to cover 5 degrees
while headed toward the western horizon out of the radiant. No train though.

On to the Quadrantids

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com),
member,   ASKC-Astronomical Society of Kansas City,
Olathe, KS. USA,
JPL / NASA Solar System Ambassador, Kansas:
Comets Observers Award Chair, Astronomical League,
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/obsclub.html,
http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm,
http://members.aol.com/kcstarguy/satoriastronomy/cometaward.htm> or
(send messages to the network at ) CometObserversAwardAL at yahoogroups.com;
Subscribe to have your name on the   listserve by sending email to   :
CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe at yahoogroups.com