(meteorobs) Observations 2005 December 13/14 from Oregon

Wesley Stone wes_stone at lycos.com
Thu Dec 15 00:21:54 EST 2005

I spent a couple of hours out in frigid temperatures under moonlight and broken cirrus.  Conditions were actually pretty bad for my evening observation from 0500-0600 UT (9-10pm local).  Even so, the Geminids seemed a bit weak and faint.  Lots of piddling +1s and +2s; none of the fireballs that I observed last year through clouds.  I tried to account for both obstruction and partial obscuration, but corrections may still be underestimates and this period should probably be treated as a casual count.

I set my alarm for 2am, but somehow turned it off in my sleep.  I awoke with a start at around 4:20am, and after I saw one bright Geminid out my window I decided to go out.  Sky conditions were better, with the moon low and most of the persistent clouds out of my view.  There were a few brighter Geminids, but in general they still seemed faint in light of this shower's reputation for producing bright meteors after maximum.

Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting: Watch/Tape recorder
Date: 2005 December 13/14

Interval UT   Teff    F     LM   GEM  Spo
0500-0600     1.00   1.25   5.1   10   0
BREAK 0600-1300
1300-1401     1.00   1.00   5.8   20   3

Magnitude Distributions: 0500-0600
GEM: -2(1), +1(4), +2(4), +3(1)

Magnitude Distributions: 1300-1400
GEM: -3(1), -1(1), 0(3), +1(2), +2(5), +3(7), +4(1)
Spo: 0(1), +2(1), +3(1)

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR