(meteorobs) Moondust

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Dec 15 19:54:09 EST 2005

    [Part One: Visual Anecdote]

   The moral of this story is "if you're going to observe Geminids on an
off-peak night, try to make sure it's *before* the peak."

    Never have those words been truer than this year, when that fickle
mistress Moon grew increasingly obnoxious from night to night. I did a
little pre-peak observing on Sunday morning from my backyard (described
previously but of no scientific value). Clouds than prevailed for the most
part. By last night the brilliant Full Moon soared high above the ecliptic
in northern Taurus near El Nath, and was high in the sky throughout the long
hours of astronomical darkness. Furthermore, Luna is near the peak of her
19-year cycle, so a winter solstice Full Moon just now is about as far north
as it can ever get; last night it was cresting high above the ecliptic
defined by Mars and Saturn equally spaced to either side. To be sure, this
year's Gems were moonstones.

   Last night, Larry Wood and I headed out to a dark location near Devon,
Alberta. We found an excellent spot on the aptly-named Sanctuary Road, no
local yardlights and zero traffic, not a single car in the nearly three
hours we were there. Now when I say "dark location", that would be in
theory; in practice the bright moonlight lit up a haze of cirrus of variable
thickness, most of the night casting an impressive 22° halo which nicely
framed Betelgeuse and Bellatrix below, Menkalinan and Capella above. Also,
the light skiff of snow was brilliantly lit; let's just say we didn't have
any trouble setting up.

    Nonetheless, the brighter stars shone through most of the time we were
there, limiting magnitude ranged from 3 to 4 for the most part, and we could
always see a fair chunk of sky. We used Larry's truck to block out direct
moonlight and concentrated on the northern half of the sky. We both knew
counts would be low, but neither of us bargained on the blank sky we
encountered. In two and a half hours of almost-continuous observing (from
23:08 to ~01:40 MST), I logged only five Geminids and three sporadics.
Larry's results were similar.

    Luckily, close to 1 a.m. we both spotted the explosion point of a
fireball through fairly thick clouds above the northern treetops which was
at least mag -3, and a few minutes later we both got a good look at a very
pretty -1 Gem with a nice 20° train near the Little Dipper. But that was
about it; two of my five Gems were mirages that I counted only when I
realized they came straight from the radiant, and there was nothing special
about the sporadics either. All in all, I would call the post-peak Geminids
a disappointing no-show.

    I'm never unhappy to get out under stars even under the most marginal of
circumstances, so the night wasn't a complete write-off, if only to give a
visual exclamation point to my much more scientifically useful radio
results. More on this in the next post.

   Bruce