(meteorobs) Re: An Explosion on the Moon

drobnock drobnock at penn.com
Tue Dec 27 17:17:35 EST 2005

TO Wesley Swift at nasa.gov.

Truce!

My comment was not to incite ire in you or your colleagues. It was to
point out the tone of the announcement of something new discovered on
the moon. An explosion on the moon,  a meteor hits the moon, and. every
planet in the solar system is hit -- every day.

My observations and inputs are there,  as humble as they are.  My
observations and data have appeared in IMO/WGN and early Sky and
Telescope. My interest is with meteors of visual magnitudes of less than
-6 creating VLF signatures. Not electrophonics sounds that have created
much interest since the 1999 Leonids.   I am making observations,  but
of  a meteor creating a VLF signature that is just above the  natural
noise floor. To date,  there is question from Beech, Brown, Keay of
small meteoroids creating such signatures. I am contributing the the
observation of  meteors. I take their criticism and comments in stride.
And I learn.

I would love to have a remote observation station away from earth, say
Mars, no manmade electromagnetic interference, just an antenna farm
devoted to detection of meteor generated electromagnetic radiation.

I would be glad to discuss this with you, we may both learn more.

Truce?

George John Drobnock,

Where are YOUR obs. More observations are needed. We are past
the "is it possible" stage and need enough confirmed statistical data to

be able to quantify meteor mass. This would be a big deal.

Our equipment was NOT sophisticated. Any scope 8' or larger
adapted to about 1 meter focal length with one of these Stellacams or
Mintrons will give excellent results at first quarter moon.

Just do it!

Wesley Swift