(meteorobs) Announcing new meteor activity alert service

Andy Smith andy at television.f9.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 20:42:57 EST 2005

The G7IZU Radio Reflection Detection Page - new features for 2005!

1. A new meteor activity alert service for the meteor observing community

Via my radio-obs website in the Devon, UK, I can now offer a two-level email
alert service,
triggered by HIGH or VERY HIGH meteor activity. A meteor rate (as observed
by my system)
of more than 150/hr triggers the HIGH alert, and a rate of more than 250/hr
triggers the
VERY HIGH alert. The alert levels can be subscribed to separately. See here
for more details.

As far as I know, this is the first ever website offering such a service
(it's free, too!)

2. 4-day live meteor rate graph plotter

On the main live FFT page, there's now a chart showing the last four days'
(approx.) activity.
The main graph shows the hourly rate, and superimposed is a "10 minute
rate", scaled to show
meteors per hour. This "10 minute rate" is also shown in the text window on
the FFT plot.

Additionally on the chart: total houly reflection durations for the two
channels being monitored.
If these are high, then suspect sporadic E or auroral activity producing
constant radio carriers.

These systems are all fully automated, and as such I can't guarentee a
perfect service, though
I'll try!

I hope you find these features useful. Any suggestions for improvements can
be made through
the website.
Regards,
Andy Smith,