(meteorobs) Meteor Activity Outlook for February 4-10, 2005

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 4 16:28:17 EST 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 02:51:59PM -0800, Robert Lunsford wrote:
[Other activity mentioned deleted.]

> Possible activity in Bootes-Corona Borealis-Serpens Caput? There have been
> reports of activity in and around this area in late January and early
> February. Veteran observer George Gliba was the first to notice this
> activity during the mid 90's. Intensified video studies by the IMO in 2000
> revealed two radiants; one in Serpens Caput and another located in Corona
> Borealis during the first week of February. Observers are urged to keep a
> look out for this activity now through mid-February. The two IMO radiants
> are located at 15:32 (233) +30 and 15:44 (236) +13. The northern radiant is
> located within the "crown" close to the star Beta Coronae Borealis. The more
> southern radiant is located near the "head" of Serpens two degrees south of
> Beta Serpentis. Another area of possible activity would lie in eastern
> Bootes between Arcturus and Xi Bootis. This area of the sky is too low until
> 0200 local standard time.

   From experiences in 1997 and 2000, activity from this region seems to peak
on the night of February 5/6, based on my visual data from 1997, and from
myself and others visual data in 2000 [see WGN 28:1 article]. So, I would
expect Saturday/Sunday night (the closer to dawn the better) to be significant
activity from this region of the sky.

   Does anyone know what three letter codes are best for the Corona Borealis
and Serpens Caput (IMO) radiants? Is CRB and SER okay?  Or is BCB and DSE
(for beta CrB & delta Serpenids) better?  Any opinions or suggestions.

Clear Skies,
GWG