(meteorobs) Five fireballs over Europe this weekend

Daniel van Os stormchaser at home.nl
Mon Feb 7 17:47:30 EST 2005

It seems there have been 5 reported fireballs over the weekend:

1. Friday February 4, 20:49 UT, mag -9/-10, Belgium/France
2. Saturday February 5, 01:04 UT, mag -10, -12, Belgium/France
3. Sunday February 6, 06:43 UT, mag -7, Belgium/France
4. Sunday February 6, 18:28 UT, far brighter than saturn, The Netherlands
5. Sunday February 6, 22:32 UT, mag -10, Slovenia

1, 2 and 3 were reported on the DMS and VVS mailinglists and are
summarized (in French) here:
http://users.skynet.be/meteorite.be/bolide04fevrier2005.htm

A note about 2: most reports I've read mention a time just before 1:00 UT.

4 was reported by mail to me by two people trying out their new
telescope. One of them claims to have seen it through the eyepiece, the
other said it moved from Aries, through the Pleiades and zenith towards
the big dipper. 30 degree tail, yellow/orange about 10-15 times the size
of Saturn.

5 was reported here by Jure Atanackov.

Daniel

Jure menti