(meteorobs) Identifying Micrometeorites

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 15:43:43 EST 2005

Hi, yep, I've gone through the scouring gutters, dragging magnets, etc. I
invited a guest speaker to one of our museum public gatherings on astronomy
last weekend, and presented some yet unidentified specimens with a 40X
microscope to the audience after the speaker. I thought it would be just a
quick item, but people really wanted to know how to collect them. It was
good fun.

I'd love to provide the photos, but I found that my camera to eyepiece
adapter, 1.25", won't fit in the EP of a microscope, 1.2", I believe. Next
week I may video them with my buddy's video camera that attaches to his scope.

Eventually, I'll likely send it off to NM for analysis. It takes about 3
months. In the meantime, we can act like scientists with what we have at hand.

--

                         Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>