(meteorobs) Perseid Meteor Party

Medomak Camp medomak at erols.com
Mon Feb 21 09:24:54 EST 2005

Perseid Meteor Party - August 10-14

Medomak Retreat Center offers the perfect opportunity to get away from the
city this coming August and share the wonders of the universe!  Medomak's
first Perseid Meteor Party will take place in Washington, Maine. Astronomy
lovers, ranging from school age to post-retirement, are invited to join us.
>From beginner to expert, everyone is welcome!  During the day explore our
mile of lakefront, hike our trails, join in any number of land or
water-based activities, or sit in on a talk by one of our guest lecturers.
Conditions could be ideal for this year's Perseids - a waxing Moon, balmy
nights, with the best observing after midnight when the air is most still.
In recent years observers at Medomak have reported seeing "shooting stars"
at the rate of one to two per minute!  Medomak is excited to welcome J.
Kelly Beatty Editor of NIGHT SKY (http://nightskymag.com), a new magazine
for beginning stargazers, and Executive Editor of SKY & TELESCOPE (
<http://skyandtelescope.com> http://skyandtelescope.com) as our featured
speaker and participant.  Along with sharing his extensive knowledge of the
night sky, he will be on hand to answer questions about constellations,
comets and telescopes. We are also thrilled to offer participants the chance
to hear from internationally acclaimed and self-taught artist, Greg Mort (
<http://www.gregmort.com)/> http://www.gregmort.com). Mort has graciously
invited Medomak's participants to his summer studio, in Port Clyde, ME, to
learn about his lifelong passion for nature and astronomy and experience his
artwork. Mort serves on the Boards of the McDonald and Lowell Observatories.
Carl Sagan included Mort's works in his book "Pale Blue Dot".  For more
information go to  <http://www.medomakcamp.com/> www.medomakcamp.com or call
1-866-633-6625.