(meteorobs) Fwd: [IMO-News] Daylight Fireball over the UK

mark ford markf at ssl.gb.com
Thu Feb 24 07:01:21 EST 2005

Hi,

For info we received this report from another eyewitness (see below)

Best,

Mark Ford
British and Irish Meteorite Society

>Dear Sirs

>My name is Richard Foxell and I live in Old Windsor.

>At the weekend my wife and I were staying in a cottage on Porlock Hill
>which has good views towards the Bristol Channel. On Sunday 20th at
around >11am there was a crisp azure sky and we were watching deer on
the hillside >opposite the cottage.  Then for about three seconds we
observed what I >presume must be a meteorite falling towards the sea.
The most distinctive >thing about it was the irridescent blue green
colour and shower of sparks >trailing behind it. It disappeared behind
the hillside and seemed to be >travelling at an angle of 40 degrees to
the surface. So we could only guess >that it would be landing further up
the Channel. It was phenomenally >exciting.

>We rushed down to Porlock Weir to see if we could find anybody who had
>observed it, but could find no-one.

>I must tell you that I am 55 years old and generally cynical about
anything >beyond the natural and not given to flights of fancy . This
was a genuine >sighting.