(meteorobs) RE: [IMO-News] Daylight Fireball over the UK

mark ford markf at ssl.gb.com
Mon Feb 28 03:45:04 EST 2005

David,

I have some further info from the uk fireball witness witness:

I suspect it is the same event.

Best
Mark

I will try to give you as much careful information as possible.

First of all we did not record the time. I thought it was about 11 but
it seems that everybody else saw it just before ten. I made a call  very
soon after the sighting to my friend Rob Garner who is good on
astronomy.I've now looked up my calls registered.  My phone registered
the call at 10.05 on Sunday 20th. Rob incidentally put me on to you
guys.

We raced out in the car to Porlock Weir to see if anybody down by the
harbour and beach had seen it. An old guy who runs boat trips said they
often see things falling at night and gave me the idea that it could be
a piece if satellite junk.

I could probably tighten this up for you, but when we had the sighting
we were looking out of the front window of one of the last cottages up
Porlock Hill. To our right ( ie looking North we would be directly
facing across to Bridgend. So from a layman's point of view you'd
imagine it was flying from somewhere above Ilfracombe and falling into
Swansea Bay, but I appreciate these things are probably much farther
off. It felt local somehow though. It fell at an angle steeper than the
hillside so that it went behind the hill before we could see what
happened to it over the Bristol Channel, but it was quite low in the
sky. As I say, I can probably get a Streetmap picture which would give a
map reference and mark up where we saw it from if that would help you.

As to the appearance itself, it had that brightness you get when looking
at a welders torch.( not the colour) There was a bright white light but
the notable thing was a kind of blend of blue and green irridescent
lights, and it did have a short tail of sparks.The sky was a crystal
clear blue sky. We could make out all the features on the Welsh coast
opposite. There were no clouds and it definitely wasn't anything
aircraft related. We were only looking up there because there are always
deer in the bracken which come down off Exmoor, and we were looking at a
group of them when this fantastic sight came into our field of vision.

Hope this helps you more.

Kind regards