(meteorobs) Quads

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Jan 3 12:19:27 EST 2005

The Quads were a total write-off visually from Edmonton, it remains
overcast. The Moon had its purpose after all, helping me to gauge the
thickness of the clouds it was trying to shine through. They were thick
enough that after several wake-ups I went back to bed for good.

Worse is that I did not come down to check my radio detector, which was
recording merrily away when last I checked it around 1 a.m. Unfortunately,
something caused my computer to shut off and reboot just after 3 a.m. local
time (10 UT) so recording stopped then. Results were looking promising too,
much more activity than the same window the previous night :

                                Jan. 2      Jan. 3

0700-0800 UT          24            34
0800-0900                18            35
0900-1000                27            52

    Activity really seemed to be picking up when -- THUD! Down she went.
Very disappointing.

    I've not had much luck at all lately with this, I had great radio
results from the Geminids (over 100 hits per hour around the maximum) which
I did not get a chance to analyze in detail in the busy days leading up to
the holidays. On New Year's Eve I had a catastrophic incident with my
computer which resulted in the loss of all those data files. Ursids gone
too. I was going to analyze all the 'holiday showers' this week, now I just
wanna cry.  :(

    Oh well, there'll be another good radio shower in ... August?

    forlorn regards, Bruce