(meteorobs) dud 2005 Quadrantids SW Florida

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Tue Jan 4 03:45:38 EST 2005

Almost nothing happened from the 2005 Quadrantids despite a fully clear
sky.  I limited the watch to the last couple of hours considering the moon
was out, and a work day was coming.  Looks like the earlier time was well
spent sleeping.

2005 Jan 3 UT   418 - 558 EST  918 - 1058 UT    Teff 1.67  F 1.0   LM
5.8   6 QUA    5 SPO   11 Total

Quadrantid magnitudes :  -1(2)   0(1)   1(2)   2(0)   3(1)
sporadic magnitudes : 0(1) 1(1)   2(1)   3(1)   4(1)

There was a casual white-blue  -3m Quad seen while setting up.  The  -1m's
were white-blue and orange, both +1m's were blue, and the 0m was
yellow.  All Quad colors were of pastel intensity.  The brightest sporadic
was intense yellow.

Where was the main body of Quadrantids this year?  Definitely not over the
eastern American zone.  Maybe it has shifted westward.  That seems to have
started happening in 2001.  I was more than a little surprised at the poor
numbers despite a reasonably good sky.  Temperature was about 58F.  Joan
came along, and managed to see 6 meteors herself.  In 1997 I was about the
only one with clear sky in the U.S. also.  Been doing better with
Quadrantids here than with most of the other showers for a good many years.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society