(meteorobs) shifting Quadrantids

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Wed Jan 5 01:31:28 EST 2005

Bob wrote,

>I recall back in 2001 the Quad max was predicted near 1200 UT but did not
>occur until several hours later.

I had this incident in mind.  Looks like we better plan on watching closely
again in 3 years in America.    Waning crescent moon, quick and dirty
method.  Best years have become the leap years.  The previous scheme lasted
from 1973 (Mark Adams saw 67/hr from Pennsylvania ; I was fogged out from
central Florida), through 1985 ( I saw 32/hr in increasing cirrus from a
cold front, no doubt it could have been over 60/hr even this far south), to
1997 ( 61/hr with a moon 2 days past last quarter).  The scheme finally
broke down in 2001.

It's too bad the chilly observers in Yellowknife didn't see more than they
did, for the effort they made.  A hundred-degree F difference between there
and here, just amazing.  From that high latitude they could get some
interesting results from the Quadrantids every year.  Got to have a clear
sky, first.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor