(meteorobs) Las Vegas fireball sighting

skywise skywise at dslextreme.com
Fri Jan 7 16:27:10 EST 2005

I too am new to the group, having been advised of it after seeing
a fireball on the 4th of Jan as well, from LA. So apologies if
I'm not following proper form.

Here's a copy of my post to a satellite observing group.

    Time: 17:43 Jan 4, 2005 (0143 UTC Jan 5)

    Location: LA Area, Stanton CA
    -118.00 33.80

    Travelling due east from zenith. Was seen out a window so only
    saw ending. I saw only bright white, but mother, who called my
    attention to it, saw green as well. Terminated about 30 degrees
    altitude.

    It appeared as bright as airplane landing lights seen head on
    from about 10 miles away. (I have seen planes turning to land
    at John Wayne airport from about that distance)

    This was not man made, was travelling way too fast.

Comparing the description to what Jennifer just described, I think
we saw the same event.

I had also heard there was meteorite fall in Wisconsin, but I
doubt this was the same event. The great circle route to Wisconsin
from my location is about 45 azimuth whereas my sighting was at
90 degrees and headed the same.

Brian