(meteorobs) Re: Las Vegas fireball sighting Jan. 4, 2005, possible video record

Ernie Iverson ewiverson at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 02:46:27 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

I operate an all sky video camera in Carson, California (a suburb of Los
Angeles, 33.83° N  118.83° W) as part of the Sandia Labs Fireball
network.
Thanks to everyone for submitting their observations concerning the
recent fireball sighting near Las Vegas, NV.   I’ve looked at the notes
posted here plus the info on the AMS Fireball Sightings Log: 2005
webpage.  Fortunately each observer seems to agree within 5 minutes
(17:40 or 17:45 PST) for the event time.  When I went back and checked
my video tape for that day I observed a bright object at 17:42:38 and
again at 17:42:40.  The video time insertion hardware that I use gains a
few seconds every day so in this case subtract about 15 seconds to get
PST.  The video system time is updated periodically to match my GPS
receiver.  Unfortunately most of the sky was obscured by clouds that day
and I only captured two very brief flashes of the object passing behind
small clearings in the clouds.  Although I believe this is the fireball
everyone reported, I can not completely eliminate the possibility of an
airplane.  The video recording is just too short.  Evidence supporting
this event as the fireball includes: (1) the geometry fits, as I
observed it to the east of my location moving towards the south; (2) it
is moving at an altitude above the clouds; (3) it is very bright (I
would put the magnitude at -7/-8); and (4) it appears to be moving much
faster than an airplane would be observed flying at that distance so low
on the horizon.  I’m a little bit troubled by Brian’s report that it
terminated at 30 degrees above the horizon but then he was observing
about 50 miles east of my location.

Since I am having trouble I sending out large .avi files, I’m only
attaching a power point presentation with two pictures representing the
two flashes .  In a separate posting will attach the full .avi file. I
suspect that the latter will not make it.

Cheers,
Ernie Iverson