(meteorobs) "Corkscrew Meteor" on Space.com Image of the Day 7th Jan

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 15:59:03 EST 2005

In a message dated 1/9/2005 9:41:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
MexicoDoug at aol.com writes:

>>I  believe this is a wobble due to oscillation of  the motor drive of  the
telescope
-  Marco<<

>>That assumed he had a motor  drive...<<

If he didn't, he got some fairly decent star images after being magnified  in
the telescope. It surely wasn't an unguided photo.

>>Funny that the alleged "oscillations"
are  coincidentally not apparent at the beginning nor end of the  train. <<

>From the image I looked at, I was able to see tapering off oscillations  at
the beginning and end. Another possibility would be oscillations caused by  the
shutter of the camera. From the obvious far distance between telescope and
meteor, if there were any meteor corkscrewing, the side to side motion
distance would seem to be quite a few feet...maybe at least 50 feet?
George Zay