(meteorobs) "Corkscrew Meteor" on Space.com Image of the Day 7thJan

Jim Pettit j_e_pettit at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 9 18:29:51 EST 2005

Seems to me that, if the appearance of the corskcrew is simply due to the
oscillation of the drive motor, it would have to be a pretty erratic
mechanism to display such a wide variation in that oscillation over such a
small period of time (a tiny fraction of a second). The left end of the
trail shows very little 'corkscrewing'; there are just a few waves and
crests just left of middle; the line is fairly flat to the right of the
middle; and, obviously, the right 30% of the trail is very 'corkscrewed'. In
my many years of observation, I've seen several meteors which displayed
aerodynamic inflight changes to their ballistic trajectories; while I've
never seen a meteor corkscrew, I have no trouble believing that such a thing
could certainly happen, given the correct meteor composition, shape, and
angle of entry.

Just my (admittedly unlearned) opinion.

--Jim