(meteorobs) "Corkscrew Meteor" on Space.com Image of the Day7thJan

Swift, Wesley Wesley.R.Swift at msfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 11 14:34:57 EST 2005

All,

	The small "ears" on the stars imply that the vibration is for a
small part of the exposure.  The wiggles on the meteor trail seem to build
and decay with the meteor.  This implies that the wiggles are somehow
coordinated with the meteor.   Although I have no idea of the plate scale of
this image, I assume it is fairly small so that the squiggles are less then
an arc minute.  If the scope tube is 4 feet long then the end would be
mooving less than 1/100 inch, which would be heard as a very low humm.  Such
small vibrations of the scope could be caused by meteor electrophonics.
Wild idea, I know, but not out of the realm of possibility.

http://luna.tau.ac.il/~colin/research/Meteor/meteor.html
http://www2.hunterlink.net.au/~ddcsk/gelphonx.htm
http://homepages.primex.co.uk/~sproston/sstar8e.htm

or not: