(meteorobs) "Corkscrew Meteor" on Space.com Image of the Day 7thJan

Jim Pettit j_e_pettit at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 14:37:08 EST 2005

I'm not a firm proponent or opponent of the 'corkscrewing' meteor theory; as
I wrote, I've never seen one. But others have, and some have even imaged
them. So rather than dismiss the phenomenon in the photo in question
outright as camera or drive shake, I'd like to at last keep my mind open to
the possibility that it was real.

Richard wrote: "...it would take a truly bizarre set of coincidences to
produce a trajectory consitent with the image, i.e. a corkscrew with a
fairly constant radius but inconstant period." A 'truly bizarre set of
coincidences'? Or simply minor trajectory changes brought upon by
inconsistent ablation of the meteor manifested as real sinusoidal
displacement?

Too, the fact that the blurring of the stars seems to be in parallel with
the axis of the corkscrewing doesn't automatically mean they'reone and the
same, does it?

Pity the frame didn't capture another perfectly linear meteor, isn't it?
Anyway, enough out of me...