(meteorobs) do you think so?

Brewster LaMacchia brewster at mds.com
Tue Jan 11 22:35:40 EST 2005

At 08:22 AM 1/9/2005, Mark Davis wrote:
>Hi Christine,
>
>As you may have figured out, these msgs are from someone spamming the list
>using a valid address. I have been unable to block them all with my list
>admin abilities. Please bear with us while Lew or Brewster look into the
>problem.

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay, been out of town for the past week...

It appears that some spammer (or virus) is forging the "From:" field to be Lew's address, and at the same time making the To: field be the list. Unfortunately, when this happens, there's no real way for the list server to know that it's not a message from Lew. (well, the IP addresses of the sending mail system would probably be a clue that it is forged, but there's no reliable way to use that info to decide what to do).

Sadly, it was probably only a matter of time that some spammer/virus figured a way to trick list servers into this.

The best solution is for Lew to unsubscribe the mit.edu address and use some other address until it stops.

Regards,

Brewster