(meteorobs)

Mikhail Maslov ast0 at mail.ru
Thu Jan 20 11:11:46 EST 2005

Hello all.

Pejman, besides ZHR there are many other characteristics of a shower.
Some of them are average magnitude and closely related population
index. They show how rich a shower is with larger or smaller
particles. Also worth mentioning are such characteristics as
percentage of "trainy" meteors and meteor colors. They are useful
because they give a hint what to expect from a given shower.
Also observational data are very useful for determination of space
density of the shower, i.e. how many visual meteoroids a certail space
volume contains. These results are very important, for example, for
predicting the strength of future outbursts.
Of course, observation data could be used in many other ways,
depending on what one wants to find, calculate, obtain etc. But I
think, the shape of parent body could hardly be determined from them.
The particles aren't uniformly ejected from all the surface of the
parent body but mainly from highly active parts, so-called jets. After
that the particles begin quick dispersing, so usual width of meteoroid
trails is at least thousand times larger than the parent body has itself.

Best regards, Mikhail Maslov

pn> hi friends .
pn> im pejman from iran .what can we do with our meteore shower data (record)eccept finding zhr .
pn> may be can determine the shape of originated object ? do u know ...
pn> dark &clear sky
pn> pejman

pn> Do you Yahoo!?
pn>  The all-new My Yahoo! – Get yours free!
pn> ---
pn> Mailing list meteorobs
pn> meteorobs at meteorobs.org