(meteorobs) 2005 Draconids

Mikhail Maslov ast0 at mail.ru
Mon Jan 24 12:07:18 EST 2005

Hello, Jeremie and others.

Many thanks for these results, they are very interesting. And I have
some thoughts of potential "general" activity of Draconids this year.
Your image shows some diffused cloud, encountering the Earth and no
trails intersections. So the question is what activity could be caused
by this cloud. In the previous perihelion years with no trail
encounters Draconids gave almost nothing. The latest year of such a
kind was 1992. 2005 is very similar to 1992 in trails distribution.
So I suppose ZHR of 5-10 would be very not bad in this situation. What
do you mean saying "there will be a Draconids activity, but no, we do
not expect the storm"? The outburst in 1998 was also not stormy (ZHR~800
as I remember) but it was a definitely very favorable year in terms of
trail intersection.

Best regards, Mikhail Maslov