(meteorobs) Re: Observing Helion Meteors?

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Tue Jan 25 01:40:42 EST 2005

David and All,

I was waiting for some others to voice their opinions but I guess there are
none forthcoming. So, here are my thoughts:

The helion radiant would be located along the ecliptic approximately fifteen
degrees west of the sun. I would assume the best time to see such meteors
would be when the ecliptic has the steepest angle during the morning hours.
This would be near the autumnal equinox in September for the Northern
Hemisphere and the vernal equinox in March for the Southern Hemisphere. I
have seen a few "earthgrazers" late in the morning but I cannot recall if
any traced back to this prospective radiant. I have never really attempted
to look for such activity. The only thing close are the Arietids of early
June, which is a true shower in itself. Even this strong shower has produced
much less than one meteor per night for me.

It would be an interesting project and perhaps some video observers could
also add this radiant to their list of potential targets. I would expect
rates to be quite low, much lower than the disappointing rates I was getting
for the apex sources.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford