(meteorobs) 1972 Draconids [was 2005 Draconids]

Malcolm J. Currie mjc at star.rl.ac.uk
Tue Jan 25 11:27:09 EST 2005

MJC> > Do the models explain what happened in 1972, when the possibility of a
MJC> > storm was touted, but almost no visual activity was present.

HL> I did some trail computing of the Draconids years ago. Yes - the lack in
HL> activity in 1972 is easily explainable,

Right, using today's models there was no encounter with a concentration
of particles.  I'm wondering why _at the time_ there was an expectation
of at least abnormal activity.  There was the closeness of the orbits
crossing only a couple of months after the comet.  So my question is
more, what physics has been introduced to our models which move the
particles away from the comet orbit, thus making the 1972 Draconids a
disappointment.  Poynting-Robertson was well known.  YORP, ejection
velocity distributions, planetary perturbations?

Malcolm