(meteorobs) Re: 2005 Draconids

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 25 23:59:05 EST 2005

Hello Jeremie, Mikhail and all,

Thank you for your wonderful work to keep us informed on potential
upcoming Draconids activity.  This is excellent!

I have long since been fascinated by Draconids due of course to their
famous history but also the uniqueness of such slow moving meteors.
There's also some kind of extra special intrigue with elusive meteor
showers like this one and the June Bootids.

These discussions also bring back memories...

My first encounter with the Draconids happened on the evening of
October 9, 1993, on casually looking out a window.  I very luckily (and
unexpectedly) saw a beautiful, persistent, mag -1 meteor slowly descend
to the north-west.  At first, I didn't pay much attention to the date,
but then, after a pause, I looked at the path until I realized that it
radiated from near the head of Draco.  In a casual 30 minutes watch
that followed outside, no further Draconids were seen.

On the early evening of October 7, 1994, I was caught off-guard when
four slow moving, short and faint meteors radiated from near the head
of Draco in the span of only 15 minutes!  Unfortunately, I did not
begin a formal watch until much later (local midnight).  Draconids were
absent the remainder of the night under sky LM=5.5.

I was on the wrong side of the planet to see the outburst of 1998
Draconids, but I managed to observe 5 hours teff under a very clear sky
on October 8/9.  I witnessed only three potential (probable) Draconids.
  One of them included a spectacular 20 degrees long mag -1 pure white
meteor, that was slow and persisted for several long seconds!!  It was
a meteor that I won't forget anytime soon!

I failed to see any signs of Draconids in the years 1999-2003 (at least
for this longitude).  But in October 2004, I recorded one Draconid per
session, over the course of three nights of recording near expected
maximum.

Even if a storm is not predicted this year, it will be very interesting
to find out if some kind of small level activity is seen from the
diffuse cloud.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario