(meteorobs) re: Possible Meteorite in Cambodia

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 16:58:22 EST 2005

>>3 inches is the most likely. Sometimes they are about
>  6  inches under water, but the stalk, ear and the paddy
> are well  above the  water. (The plants are not entirely
> submurged under  water.) Maybe these  were the ones that
> caught  fire.
>
> We had a similar fall of  the Kendrapara meteorite,  in
> Orissa in 2003. One of the meteorite fell  in a paddy
>  field and burt just a handful of paddy.
>
> I  hope the mud  hasn't penetrated deep into the
> specimen. I wonder which  institute  in Combodia is
> going to examine the meteorite. Any ideas   folks?<<

The above quote came off the meteorite list. For some  reason I'm not able
post there, but since there are folks on both  lists, I'll try this route.
What I want to say about the "Possible  meteorite fall in cambodia" is this:
First of all, I highly doubt it  was anything meteoritic that started any
fires,
or we would be hearing  about a large cratering event. Second, this is
January.
What I remember  about Vietnam and Cambodia when I was there many years ago,
that  this  is the dry season. The rice paddies I believe are dry during the
dry   season. They don't flood up until the monsoons begin in a few months.
George  Zay