(meteorobs) the population indices

rahmani_sahar rahmani_sahar at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 13:16:53 EST 2005

Hello
We are going to analyze the data of Geminids meteor shower but we
don't know how we can account the population index. We analyzed the
data of Geminids meteor shower tow years ago. The method used there
to obtain the population indices (the method suggested by IMO)
consists of the equation mentioned below:
å Ni (lm – mi) / N

In which Ni is the number of the meteors observed with the magnitude
of mi (the letter "i" can gain different values considering the
magnitude distribution.), lm is the limiting magnitude and N is the
total number of the meteors observed in the considering interval.
This equation delivers a set of corresponding <Delta m>. Using Table,
we converted <Delta m> into population indices (this will give us the
r-values for our main effective observing periods.).
r	<Delta m>	r	<Delta m>
1.5	5.830	3.1	2.750
1.6	5.301	3.2	2.682
1.7	4.894	3.3	2.618
1.8	4.568	3.4	2.559
1.9	4.298	3.5	2.503
2.0	4.069	3.6	2.450
2.1	3.872	3.7	2.400
2.2	3.700	3.8	2.353
2.3	3.549	3.9	2.308
2.4	3.413	4.0	2.266
2.5	3.291	4.1	2.226
2.6	3.180	4.2	2.187
2.7	3.079	4.3	2.151
2.8	2.987	4.4	2.116
2.9	2.902	4.5	2.082
3.0	2.823

But we wants to know where this table come from and how can we
account them. Can you tell us about it?
Sahar Rahmani