(meteorobs) Madrid Meteor

Jim Pettit j_e_pettit at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 29 21:28:20 EST 2005

Here's the pertinent text of the page submitted by Roberto
(http://www.ansa.it/main/notizie/fdg/200501290945184845/200501290945184845.h
tml) loosely translated into English (with apologies to Italians everywhere;
I'm a little rusty, as anyone who knows can see):

************************************
MADRID - In a fireball seen by many people, a meteorite weighing
approximately 30 kilograms landed in the outskirts of Madrid, and the owner
refuses to deliver it to the authorities.

"What falls from the sky belongs only to God," said the man, Jose Cuadrato,
showing the object, which is approximately 35 x 15 centimeters, and of a
rectangular shape with the ends rounded off, possibly from the friction of
falling through the atmosphere.

The fiery falling object much-seen yesterday evening was collected by
Cuadrato in a field close to his home "...while it was still warm and
smoking," the man (Cuadrato) said, emphasizing that if the government wants
it, they'll have to pay for it; otherwise, he'll turn it over to the US
embassy. (?)

According to the experts, who have still not been able to examine it, the
object may be a meteorite or a piece of a satellite or space probe, but they
also haven't excluded the possibility that [what Cuadrato has shown them]
may be just a scrap of garbage.

--Jim