(meteorobs) [Fwd] unusual meteor sighting

RainerArlt rarlt at aip.de
Fri Jul 1 03:08:53 EDT 2005

Forwarded with permission of Cheryl Ann Kittredge;
perhaps the event was witnessed by other observers
or technique.

Best wishes,
Rainer

----- Forwarded message from Cheryl Ann Kittredge <kittredg at nb.sympatico.ca> -----

To: visual at imo.net
From: Cheryl Ann Kittredge <kittredg at nb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:37:54 -0300
Subject: unusual meteor sighting

I am writing to report an unusual sighting of what I presume was a
meteor.

I had this experience last week, the early morning of Thursday, June
23, at 3:38 Eastern/4:38 Atlantic Daylight Time.  I was driving home
from Presque Isle, Maine, U.S.A., to Woodstock, New Brunswick, Canada.
I had just crossed the international border at Bridgewater,
Maine/Centreville, New Brunswick.

A few miles further, I had just turned right off the main road and
crossed the small bridge over the Presquile River in Tracey Mills,
looking, as usual for loose cattle or moose in the road, and had
climbed much of the elevation on my way to join New Brunswick Highway
550.  I was at the location which is shown on older maps as Long
Settlement.  I was driving along narrow road through hills and trees
and, although I had earlier noticed the sky beginning to grow light in
the east, it was still very dark where I was driving.  Suddenly,
directly in front of me and very low, there was a brilliant and
colorful streak of light, possibly no higher than the utility poles
beside the road.  There was thick tree growth on my right and there
must have been some obstructive tree growth on my left because I did
not see the object until it was just in front of me.  It was traveling
from my right, the west, toward my left, east, in a trajectory which
had a slight downward angle, perhaps ten degrees.  The length of the
streak itself might have been about ten degrees.  It was a brilliant
aqua blue with some slight pink coloration behind the main, leading
portion.  Of course, it all happened very quickly.  I remember actually
exclaiming aloud with surprise.  The object disappeared to my left rear
before I could stop the car and lower the window to observe whether I
could hear anything.  I looked at the clock and it was 3:38 Eastern.
Then I drove a few hundred feet up the road to the first driveway I
could find, backed into it and looked back to see whether there were
smoke or flames visible.  I could see nothing.

I arrived home just after 5:00 A.M. and told my husband about my
experience.  On Friday, June 24, we went back and retraced my route
from the border.  We found the driveway I had backed into and
established where I must have been when I saw the phenomenon.  Then we
tried to walk through the terrain next to the road in the direction the
object had been traveling, thinking that we might see scorching or tree
damage; however, it was old logged land, thick with undergrowth and
piles of dumped brush and was very difficult walking.

For the record, I would like to point out that I have several academic
degrees, two in biology and I am married to an astronomy/physics major.
 I have a subscription to Skeptical Inquirer, am a firm believer in the
work of CSICOP, and am not subject to hallucinations or accustomed to
strange experiences of any kind.  I would love to know whether this
"meteor" was observed by any other person or organization.  I could
also locate the position of the event quite accurately, should anyone
care to investigate further.

Thank you for your time and attention.

C. Ann Kittredge

----- End forwarded message -----