(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. 7/3/5, WVa

George Gliba gliba at milkyway.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 5 10:05:26 EDT 2005

                 Screech Owl Hill Observatory, Mountain Meadows
                        West Virginia 385710N 0785544W
                                July 02/03, 2005

  It was partly cloudy conditions for us in West Virginia Saturday/Sunday,
but we had some good sucker holes and I got in two hours of meteor watching.
Not much happening. Fair to good activity from the Sagittarius (SAG) complex,
and one lone Capricornid (CAP) from 6 to 8 UT. A antihelion was the best
meteor. It was a 1st magnitude yellow-green beauty that went by Polaris.

  Earlier we were able to see the pre-impact 9P/Temple 1, the nice 14th
magnitude supernova that is now visible in M51. and several other deep-sky
objects. Below is a short breakdown of the meteor activity seen.

Time (UT)  LM  %Obst. CAP  SAG  NPX  SPX  SPO  Total   FOV     Comments
6:00-7:00  6.3    0%   0    1    2    1    7    11   23.5+33   some haze
7:00-8:00  6.3   25%   1    3    2    0    7    13   various   25% clouds

Magnitude Distributions (6:00-8:00 UT)
    -1  0  1  2  3  4  5  Total Ave.
SAG  0  0  1  1  1  1  0    4   2.5
CAP  0  0  0  1  0  0  0    1   2.0