(meteorobs) Observation July 2/3 2005

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 6 22:28:17 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Been a while... My last meteor session goes back to early May!  A long
run of clouds, poor weather and high humidity here didn't help matters.
  Last weekend, a cold front swept through and brought with it clearer
and dryer skies.  I did some meteor recording in the morning, after
enjoying some deep sky observing at a friend's cottage (about an hour
and a half drive north of Ottawa).  Despite the nice dark mag 6.7
skies, the meteor rates were rather low.  9 meteors were recorded in
over one hour teff, which included a couple Sagittarids.  I enjoyed the
quiet environment, with the occasional wolves howling in the distance.
At about 3am, we finally packed it in... happy and photon-filled :0))

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: July 2/3 2005
BEGIN: 0510 UT (0110 EDT)  END: 0633 UT (0233 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76.50 West; Lat: 46.00 North  Elevation: 150m
City & Province: Otter Lake, Quebec, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting & cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_____________________________________radiant position
		SAG (Sagittarids - ANT)__________________________19:40 (295) -21
		CAP (Alpha Capricornids)_________________________18:52 (283) -17
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_FIELD____Teff__LM_____SAG_CAP_SPO

0510-0633__2150+30__1.23__6.70____2___0___7  = 9

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down as
close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal Time. The
second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I centered my
field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents effective observing
time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not spent looking at the
sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked eye limiting
magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following columns
indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_______0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5_____AVE

SPO____1___1___1___0___3___1_____+3.00
SAG____0___0___0___2___0___0_____+3.00

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude +2
to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are the
faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark conditions. A
meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a fireball.  The above
table contains the magnitudes from all observed meteors, and the
average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV): None

F = 1.00

Dead time: 6.33 min breaks + 3 min plots = 9.33 min total

Breaks (UT): 5:16 (30sec), 5:19-20