(meteorobs) A strange forest-fall in Russia

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Thu Jul 7 01:19:06 EDT 2005

From: "Andrei Ol'khovatov" <olkhov at mail.ru>

> Dear All,
>
> A strange forest fall was discovered in Russia near a settlement of
Medvezhii (Khabarovsk region, Russian Far East), which local
> authorities called first as "new Tunguska meteorite fell".
> According to first reports it is ~2 km accross. Reports about its square
varies from 3 to 12 sq. km. There are reports that local
> residents heard some associated sounds and saw some luminous phenomena.
Authorities are investigating.

CUT

> Currently "the meteorite fall" is practically changed to
"tornado/whirlwind". Anyway, it is still preliminary, as there were no
> reports of anything resembling a tornado at all.  As I wrote, authorities
are investigating.

> Best wishes,
> Andrei Ol'khovatov

Andrei,

if the forest fall it's so little it must to have an other cause that a new
Tunguska because
a similar event must destroy a very big surface or the event should end in
air without
damage in surface. Only in the case of a new Sikhote Alin can occur a
limited (!) forest
fall, but in the case of Sikhote Alin it was a iron meteorite with
fragmentation, the
inabitants of Medvezhii should find very easy pieces of iron, do they found
this fragments?
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli