(meteorobs) A strange forest-fall in Russia

Jan Verfl verfl.meteors at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 8 10:53:33 EDT 2005

Hi,

i suppose it requires a meteorologist to look at the pictures - but if the
area damaged now in Russia is not narrow (as in the bellow case) but rather
circular or so (what is not known to me now), the cause can be somthing
called "downburst" - a block of cold air falling down to the surface from
high altitudes with high speed. It occurs usually during  t-storms (like
tornadoes do), but perhaps even more often than tornadoes, as I've heard,
but only rarely it produces remarkable damage (but it surely sometimes
does).

Jan