(meteorobs) Re: any idea what this was?

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Sun Jul 10 20:42:41 EDT 2005

Arlene and All,

Robert meant that these meteors are called "Earthgrazers".

The radiant may lie below the horizon, but a meteor cannot be seen below
your horizon. It may start below your horizon and then appear in your sky
traveling upwards. This was common with watching the Leonids just before the
radiant rose.

These meteors are called "Earthgrazers" because they just skim the upper
regions of the atmosphere where the air is thin. They tend to last for
several seconds and are also usually much longer than typical meteors.
Perseid earthgrazers may be seen from the northern mid-latitudes just as it
becomes dark in mid-August.

I hope this helps!

Bob Lunsford