(meteorobs) Fw: Fireball Report 2:16PM, I was in Downtown Portland Oregon

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri Jul 22 10:29:05 EDT 2005

"I was in my car travelling south-bound on I-5 at the I-405 interchange.  The
event started due south of me at 80 degrees and passed down to 45 degrees
very quickly."

This narrative is very consistent: indicates the observer was driving  on a
road toward the South, that the bolide appeared AT (not traveling  FROM) the
top of the windshield which is 10 south from the vertical (80  degrees
elevation), and continued on in a southerly direction, basically falling  in front (to
the south), and extinguishing 45 degrees above the horizon.   This would give
the idea that it started above him slightly in front and either  fell
vertically down (just like the radiant effect, it appears to move further  away, but
actually is just getting closer to your elevation), or it had an angle  of
incidence slightly to the south as well from his given position.

The two questions I would have:
1. Did the observer first see it at 80 degrees altitude because the roof of
his car blocked it before that, or did it actually appear in full view, or is
his not sure.
2. Is 80 degrees a bit steep, or did he simply press his face toward the
windshield while travelling on the freeway?
Saludos, Doug

En un mensaje con fecha 07/22/2005 6:39:35 AM CDT, Paulo escribe:

Hello all:

Just a question...I find quite strange this south-south  as both initial
and ending compass direction.
Could there be an mistake  in one of them?

thanks

Paulo