(meteorobs) Re: Daylight Fireballs

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 25 13:04:26 EDT 2005

on 7/25/05 9:44, David Dodge at ddodge at hrmacmillanspacecentre.com wrote:

Two reports that fit the daylight fireball mold:

1)         On Saturday, July 16th, there was this strange long light in the
sky directly south. It was there for hours mid afternoon, sitting below the
sun. It slowly moved way up high in the sky  & then down towards the
horizon, never changing angles or varying in brightness.

Just wondering if anyone else saw it, or what it may have been.

Wasn't sure who would be interested in this, but thought I'd start with the
Plantetarium.

Picture attached.

Rhea

(From: Ron & Rhea Hewitson [mailto:rhewitson at shaw.ca]
<mailto:%5bmailto:rhewitson at shaw.ca%5d> )

2)         Hi David.

I originally sent this e-mail to Mark Madryga at BCTV but he directed me to

you. My name is Ian Dawson and I live in Pitt Meadows. Sunday the 17th I

found myself in New West dropping off a friend. It was about 1:30AM and we

were driving down 18th St. As we got to about 7th Ave. I noticed an electric

blue 'star' in the sky over the water. Then all of a sudden it fell towards

the ground like a comet, not straight down but angled. My friend also saw it

fall. Usually I just play it off as a shooting star or plane, but this made

me stop the car right in the middle of the road. It wasn't your average

shooting star. I was just curioius if you can trace it or figure out what it

was. I'm guessing it was just a chunk from space but you never know these

days. I'm sure I wasn't the only person to see it. If you could help me out

at all it might save me a trip to the shrink.

Cheers,

Ian Dawson

From; Ian Dawson [quiksilver1099 at hotmail.com]

 Any reports or comments from your end?

David Dodge

Astronomer

H.R. MacMillan Space Centre

1100 Chestnut Street

Vancouver, BC,

CANADA

V6J 3J9

604-738-7827 - #228

ddodge at hrmacmillanspacecentre.com

David:
   There was a fireball observed from Oregon in the south.  Unfortunately I
deleted the meteorobs message so I don't know if it could be related to this
sighting or not.  Thought it was too far South for me as it was South from
there!  Don't recall the date but I will check. My camera was off line at
any rate.  I'm doing some observatory roof repairs so I will be out of
action for a few days.  Have to get this done as wood rot has set in.
   I will post your message to meteorobs and RASCALS to see if we get some
feedback.

Ed Majden -  B.C. Fireball Network Coordinator
West Coast Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay B.C. CANADA

http://members.shaw.ca/epmajden/index.htm