(meteorobs) Re: Daylight Fireballs

Alister aling at telus.net
Wed Jul 27 10:42:36 EDT 2005

The post did not say whether the light was vertical or horizontal.

Although a sun pillar (vertical) is possible, I've never seen one lasting
more than an hour or so - the conditions would have to be really ideal.

The most likely halo in this case would be a 'lower tangent arc" to the 22
degree halo. I have seen these last a huge chunk of the day. Their shape
changes slightly during the day, depending on solar altitude, becoming
concave towards the Sun higher in the sky, and away from the Sun lower in
the sky.

The more you find out about these things, the easier it is to recognize weak
displays and rare displays that tend to be more subtle.

Good observing,
Alister.