(meteorobs) Meteorite hits tractor

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 27 22:39:24 EDT 2005

on 7/27/05 18:36, Terry Johnson at tenacious at cyberback.com wrote:

> Okay, I've been thinking about this all day.  Why must you get special permits
> to move the meteorite across the border?
>
> --Terry

    This is to prevent well healed collectors from driving prices beyond the
reach of scientists and institutions to get a chance to study these
specimens before they are cut up for sale at inflated prices. Canada and
other Countries are trying to protect archeological, palentologic and other
treasures before they disappear from whence they came. Meteorites can
eventually be exported by permit, but first home institutions should get a
fair chance at them.  It is not all about the mighty dollar!

Ed