(meteorobs) Re: Meteor picture from Mars?

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue Jun 7 14:15:37 EDT 2005

>>Just a few words to say that the radiant was well "below"  the horizon,
and that physics law are not broken. Indeed grazer meteors (on  the Earth
or on Mars) are perturbed by the gravity of  the planet. The  slower the
meteoroid the higher the perturbation. This effect makes the  observed
radiant to "rise" a little bit compare to the theoritical radiant  (i.e.
without the planetary perturbation). That explains why you can see the
very first meteors even if the "radiant" is still below the horizon.
In  the case of a meteoroid ejected by comet 114P/Wisemmann-Skiff and
Mars, the  relative velocity is very low (11 km/s), and the deviation of
the radiant is  up to 15°. The observed meteor had a radiant less than
10° below the  horizon.<<

I was wondering if the depth of the Mars atmosphere, would effect being  able
to see a meteor with the radiant 10 deg below the horizon? I mean, how far
up in the martian atmosphere would a meteoroid begin to burn?
GeoZay