(meteorobs) Correction re: Mars meteor

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Wed Jun 8 09:30:16 EDT 2005

>>I haven't seen any radiant-over-the-horizon meteors myself. I'll  check
my radio data, but that has added complications in  itself.<<

Going by memory, it seems that any earth grazers I've ever seen, were  when
the radiant was within about 7 deg below the horizon and up to about  20 ish
deg above.

>>I'm assuming that the phenomena, of meteors appearing from  a radiant
below the horizon, is due to zenith-attraction. And that this  happens
because a meteoroid has its path altered by the planet's gravity, as  it
approaches.<<

Foir earthgrazers....I've always visualized it to be a combination of
zenithal attraction and the atmosphere extending far enough to intercept
meteoroids, while the radiant is still a few degrees below the horizon. That's  why I
was wondering yesterday how far up the Mars atmosphere extends where it  would
burn meteors? On earth I believe meteors tend to burn  around 60  miles up or
thereabouts? On the surface of Mars, the atmosphere is quite thin.  It would
seem that we wouldn't have to go very far up, before we get into a  region that
wouldn't burn meteors? If so, wouldn't this mean a radiant that's  about 10
deg below the horizon, have to have it's meteors turn a sharper corner  to make
a grazing meteor on Mars? Or have I missed the boat  somewhere?

GeoZay