(meteorobs) Re: Meteor picture from Mars?

Pavol Habuda bzucino at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 11 05:38:25 EDT 2005

1. Entry velocities on Mars are in range from 5 up to 55 km/s.
Lower end is caused escape velocity from planet, upper velocity
of body on parabolic orbit strikes Mars directly head on
(body is coming from apex).

2. Surface pressure on Mars is 1kPa. Comparing to Earth`s atmosphere,
pressure in 80 km on Earth is equal pressure in 50 km on Mars.
If we account lower temperatures on Mars, meteors glow in heights
between 40 and 60 km. That is my rough estimate.

3. Magnitude of meteor depends on his velocity. Meteor 0 mag at
velocity 70 km/s is about 6 mag bright at entry velocity 10 km/s.
I used simplified model with dependence m \propto -2.5 log(v).
   So, if Leonids would have entry velocities 10 km/s, then
we never see meteor storm but only a few meteors per hour.
If average velocity decrease from 60 to 45 km/s, average magnitude
decrease of 1 mag. If average population index is 2.5, ZHR
then decrease about 3.3-times (2.5*(60/45)).

Pavol Habuda