(meteorobs) Re: Meteor picture from Mars?

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 11 10:41:15 EDT 2005

on 6/11/05 2:38, Pavol Habuda at bzucino at yahoo.com wrote:

> 3. Magnitude of meteor depends on his velocity. Meteor 0 mag at
> velocity 70 km/s is about 6 mag bright at entry velocity 10 km/s.
> I used simplified model with dependence m \propto -2.5 log(v).
> So, if Leonids would have entry velocities 10 km/s, then
> we never see meteor storm but only a few meteors per hour.
> If average velocity decrease from 60 to 45 km/s, average magnitude
> decrease of 1 mag. If average population index is 2.5, ZHR
> then decrease about 3.3-times (2.5*(60/45)).
>
> Pavol Habuda

Paval:

    Thanks for the explanation re ZHR on Mars.  I never considered the drop
in Magnitude.  This is indeed a factor that should be taken into account.
Also thanks to RainerArlt for providing the orbital velocity of a meteoroid
in the vicinity of Mars.  I did know the velocity would be lower but did not
calculate by how much.  Too bad Venus does not have clear sky periods.  A
meteor storm would be spectacular from there!

Ed Majden