(meteorobs) Re: meteoron Mars

vaubaill vaubaill at imcce.fr
Mon Jun 13 09:43:20 EDT 2005

Hello guys,

Waow, lots of questions!
Let me start me the easiest: the image was processed by M. Lemmon and J.
Bell, so I can't answer any of these question without taking the risk to
be 200% wrong ;-)

About meteors on Mars:
-yes there were some studies about meteor showers on Mars. See:
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2004A%26A...416..783S&db_key=AST&high=425d6798a828937
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1999P%26SS...47.1475C&db_key=AST&high=425d6798a811332
and for Venus:
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=2004Icar..168...23C&db_key=AST&high=425d6798a811332

-yes the idea to observe martian meteors "from above", and was already
done on the Earth during the Leonids by the satellite MSX (see
Jenniskens et al. 02)

-all these works are theoritical (of course)

-yes the entry velocity of meteors on Mars are lower than on Earth,
because Mars is farer away from the Sun than the Earth (just a
statistical effect of course).

-we know the observed streak is not Viking Orbiter A (and not VO2 as
mention by spance.com) because of the light curve

Jeremie

--
* Jeremie VAUBAILLON
* Dept. of Physics & Astronomy