(meteorobs) Radio Station Info for Radiometeor observations

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Jun 9 20:08:48 EDT 2005

>>Does anyone know if there exists any list of stations that  includes
longitude and latitude with the station call sign?<<

Steve,
I think there is a list, but 12 or so years ago when I went looking for it,
it seemed to be rarer than hens teeth. What I did to find my frequency and
transmitting station was the following:
First I tested every frequency from 88.1 to 108 and wrote down those that
didn't pick up any local transmissions. I then looked in an atlas to see  what
major cities fell between 200 to about 500 miles away. Then I went to the
library and looked in the telephone book yellow pages for the various selected
cities under "Radio Stations".(I found the telephone books in microfiche  form).
The radio stations almost always list their radio frequency for that
station. I'd write down the station and city who had a radio frequency  that was one
of the frequencies that I couldn't pick any local radio  transmissions. I'd
point my yagi antenna up at a 45 deg angle in the direction  of the selected
city. You should then be in business. Depending upon the time of  day and the
sensitivity of your set up, you should start picking radio pings  almost right
away. On average, if I listened around 6 pm, I'd hear roughly 5 or  6
pings/hour. If it was near 6 am, I'd hear close to about 60pings/hour.  The rates
between those hours will be somewhat 'Pro-rated". :O)
GeoZay